- Title – Controller
- Full time
- Reports to Director, Finance and Administration
Zephyr Sleep Technologies
#102, 701-64th Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta
You will be working on the Finance and Administration team of a growing medical device company in a dynamic and collaborative environment. You will be primarily responsible for assisting the Director, Finance and Administration with all aspects of the finance and accounting operations including financial reporting, budgeting, audits, cash management, risk management and sales tax reporting/administration. In addition, you will also take on varied independent projects working with other departments and senior management involving financial analysis, business analysis, financial presentations and contract negotiations.
Specific activities include:
- Ensuring transactions are properly recorded and entered into the accounting system and books are closed on a timely basis
- Overseeing accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and inventory in order to ensure complete and accurate records of all assets and liabilities
- Reconciling general ledger accounts; preparing and processing month/quarter end adjusting entries
- Assisting in preparing monthly and quarterly financial reports including income statement, balance sheet, statement of change in cash and note disclosures
- Working with Department Heads, preparing annual budgets, updating forecasts and variance analyses
- Assisting with the annual audit process and liaise with external auditors
- Preparing and maintaining cash flow forecasts which are updated monthly
- Overseeing sales tax compliance including registrations, reporting, and payment of sales taxes in both Canada and the US
- Preparing reimbursement claims including SR&ED and other government funding programs
- Other projects (e.g. negotiations with third party service providers, cost audits, business case analyses)
- Assisting in creating presentations to the Company’s board and other third parties
- Assisting as required with Enterprise Resource Planning system implementation, monitoring and report extraction
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- CPA Designated Professional
- 3-5 years experience in either i) an accounting or finance role of a small or medium sized manufacturing or distribution business; or ii) a manager role at an established accounting service provider working on clients who are medium sized manufacturing or distribution businesses.
MAJOR QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO SUCCEED IN THE JOB
- Strong knowledge of accounting and financial reporting concepts and processes including ASPE
- Strong analytical skills
- Effective communication skills (verbal, written, presentation)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft applications including Excel, Powerpoint, Word
- Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning systems
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision and with tight reporting deadlines
- Exposure to Quickbooks accounting software an asset
ABOUT ZEPHYR SLEEP TECHNOLOGIES
Zephyr Sleep Technologies (“ZST” or the “Company”) designs, develops and manufactures medical devices for diagnosis and treatment of sleep disordered breathing. Zephyr has launched its second generation product, the MATRx Plus, marketed to dentists and designed to fulfill the needs of a significant and expanding market in the US. The MATRx Plus is a tablet-based and cloud-connected medical device designed to be used at the dental patient’s home and is currently cleared by Health Canada for sale in Canada and by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for sale in the US. The MATRx Plus medical device is deployed by dentists to their patients to complete a two-night home study which determines: i) if a simple oral appliance is capable of treating obstructive sleep apnea (“OSA”) and, ii) a therapeutic position for the mandible. This information allows a dentist to custom make an oral appliance for an OSA patient.
Zephyr Sleep Technologies was founded in 2010 and was spun out of the University of Calgary. ZST is a private company headquartered in Calgary, Alberta currently with 45 employees. The intent is to grow the team to 60+ in 2019. Since inception, the Company has raised over $20 million – $8 million from investors and over $12 million from non-dilutive sources (government & strategic partners).
Partnership with DENTSPLY SIRONA (“D/S”)
In 2017 ZST closed a strategic investment with Dentsply Sirona (“D/S”), the largest dental technology company in the world. In addition to the investment, D/S is also “bundling” a MATRx Plus with each of its 3D AI – cone beam CT scanners in the US.
The first generation product, MATRx is installed in 200 sleep labs and clinics in North America and over 12,000 tests have been completed since 2013. MATRx Plus is now installed in close to 130 sites in Canada and the US. The plan is to be in 3,000 – 5,000 dentist offices by the end of 2021 bringing in annual revenues in excess of $30 million.
Keep it Simple
To help people live healthy and productive lives by sleeping better
- Do it right
- Find a way
- Work as a team
- Continually improve
- Be agile – work fast, smart and hard
If you would like to be a part of the Zephyr Sleep Technologies Team and you are interested in this exciting career opportunity, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Controller” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.